This article will cover some frequently asked questions about taking your motorcycles test.

Do I Need a Driving Licence?

Yes. Before you ride a motorcycle as in car driving, you need to apply for a provisional driving licence. To ride on public roads, you must have a provisional licence first and then complete the Compulsory Basic Training (cbt) course 

First we’ll take a look at the provisional licence. You can apply for a licence through the website here. To apply you must:

  • Be 15 years and 9 months old
  • Read a number plate from 20 metres away.

It costs £34 to apply online.  Before you apply you will need:

  • an identity document unless you have a valid UK biometric passport
  • addresses where you’ve lived over the last 3 years
  • your National Insurance number if you know it.

You’ll get a confirmation email from DVLA after you’ve applied. You might be asked to take part in research by email, but you can opt out.

Your licence should arrive within one week if you apply online. It may take longer if DVLA needs to make additional checks.

Your Provisional Licence has Arrived, What Next?

You can now book your CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) at a reputable training school. Learning to ride a motorcycle is fun and enjoyable however, needs to be carried out safely – particularly in these times. For your safety, we encourage you to find motorcycle training centres which have strict covid-19 safety procedures in place. We’ll talk more about this later.

A legal requirement for all provisional licence holders, a CBT certificate will show that you fully understand the basics of motorcycle riding. Our professional, DSA approved driving instructors will ensure you go from a complete novice to a competent learner in one day. 

Taking Your Motorcycles Test – You may also be interested in:

How Much Does a CBT Cost?

Considering you are out on a full day of learning – the CBT course is really good value! The cost is £130 Automatic and £150 Manual. A Renewal CBT is £110 using your own bike or £120 using one of ours for your motorcycles test.

If you are bringing your own bike, please ensure you bring your driving licence and valid insurance certificate with you.

How Do I Book a CBT?

Easy! All you need to do is book online and choose your preferred training date. We are open for CBT training 7 days a week.  If English isn’t your first language, don’t worry – amongst our talented team of instructors we have speakers of Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian and even a little Cantonese!

When you book your CBT test, please advise us of  your language requirements and we’ll do our utmost to accommodate you. 

As an approved DSA training body, once you have completed your CBT, we can issue your certificate (DL196) on site so you’re ready to go.

Which Motorcycle Can I Use For CBT?

For the CBT course, the vehicle types are as follows:

  • Automatic Scooter (age 16 up to 50cc – age 17+ up to 125cc/11Kw)
  • Manuel Bike (age 16 up to 50cc – age 17+ up to 125cc/11Kw).

Moving On From An Automatic Bike?

Because the CBT doesn’t limit you to riding an automatic or manual engine, you could start your learning on an automatic bike. However, if you have never ridden a manual motorcycle or scooter before, you might find it a very challenging and potentially dangerous experience.

This is why we offer a course specifically around gear changing and clutch control. Please get in touch if this type of course is of interest – you can call us on 0208 952 9622.

How Do I Get My Full Motorcycle Licence?

Training of the Direct Access Scheme, allows you to achieve your full motorcycle licence.  You must have a full driving licence and a valid CBT certificate before you can take this course.

If your CBT certificate has expired, don’t worry – we also offer a CBT Renewal Course. Please get in touch on 0208 952 9622 for details.

The Direct Access Scheme consists of two parts: Module 1 and Module 2.

Module 1 takes place at our 300m2 training site in Harrow. Here you will learn how to control the motorbike in a variety of conditions from slow speed manoeuvres to speed manoeuvres. 

When choosing a training school, make sure the site is big enough for you to practice all the required manoeuvres in a safe and controlled environment. To find out more about Module 1, take a look at the DSA official video.

Module 2 test. Once you have demonstrated control of your bike, you need to learn how to ride safely and complete practical on-road riding in a variety of road and traffic conditions. To prepare you for the exam we will take you to the actual test route where you will practice on roads, roundabouts, junctions and dual carriageways.

To find out more about the Module 2 section and the riding test, take a look at the DSA official video.

How Do I Book the DAS?

Before you book the DAS, we offer a FREE Rider Assessment where you will come into the training centre and we can assess your ability. This will help us to collect information about your riding ability so that we are in a better position to recommend the most appropriate course duration. To book your assessment, please call us on 0208 952 9622.

How Safe Is The Training Centre?

The safety of our trainees, our instructors and office staff is our No 1 priority.  We have put a number of measures in place to ensure our training courses follow the covid-19 safety guidelines.  For further information on our safety procedures, please read our recent blog.

We hope these FAQs have answered your motorcycles test queries however if you still have questions, please feel free to call our friendly team on 0208 952 9622 or you can send an email to